Tonight's Westhampton Beach Village Board meeting saw the annual unveiling of the Tentative Budget where the 13-pages of spreadsheet figures were first made available for inspection and Public Comment, then adopted by a vote of theTrustees and the Mayor.
Considering that the routine business of the Village was also conducted, plus myriad seasonal personnel appointments made... all in well under an hour... not a lot of time was devoted to 2014-2015's $9,667,168 budget.
In fact only three people spoke to any budgetary matters:
- Hot-headed newcomer Raymond Dowd pressed on the lack of funds available for remediation of storm water run-off (Nitrates! Nitrates!) into Moniebogue Creek and Bay;
- A new-look Joan Levan raised an esoteric point about who knows what;
- A cranky old blogger again questioned an intransigent Mayor Conrad Teller about the $130,672 allocation in the Police budget for Public Safety Dispatchers, not only a duplication of Southampton Town's 9-1-1 service, but for two where only one would more than adequately address any requirement.
In other matters, the Board unanimously approved:
- Scheduled Public Hearings for Special Exceptions for:
- Liberty Locksmith's administrative contractor's office at 143 Old Riverhead Road.
- Georgica Pond Associates, LLC for an administrative contractor's office at 135 Main Street (2X).
- Atlantic Outdoor Living, for an administrative contractor's office at 121 Main Street.
- Georgica Pond Associates LLC's Special Exception Application for a Retail Store for Spa at 135 Main Street be referred to the Village Planning Board for review
- Approve Use of Village Property for the Hurricane Education Foundation's Annual Amazing Race and Scavenger Hunt on Saturday, May 24 from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm.
- Family Service League is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Saturday, July 12 from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm for the Annual Dinner Dance Gala.
- The Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn from Monday, July 28 through Monday August 4 including set up and take down days, for the Zoppe Family Circus for five performances.
- The Rotary Club of Westhampton is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Saturday, August 9 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sunday, August 10 from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm for the Annual Rotary Flea Market.
- The Board of Trustees approved the Use of the Village Green and Rogers Beach, by the Westhampton Free Library for a variety of events between June 28 and August 29.
- The Westhampton Beach Fire Department is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Sunday, August 17 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm for the Annual Fire Department Open House.
- Bide-A-Wee is hereby authorized to conduct the 3rd Annual "Love on a Leash" Parade on Saturday, September 27 from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm per the route on file and also use the Village Green for registration activities.
- St. Mark's Church is hereby authorized to use the Great Lawn on Saturday and Sunday, August 30-31 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm for the Annual Art Show and Sale.
- Westhampton Beach Village Employees are hereby authorized to use the Rogers Beach Pavilion on Saturday, September 20 from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm for a clambake for Village employees.
- Accept Proposal for Services by J.C. Broderick & Associates, Inc. for the Asbestos Pre-Demolition Survey, Sampling and Analysis of 9 Griffing Avenue in the amount of $3,360.00.
Translation: before the Guldi house can be razed, an inventory of the asbestos within must be undertaken.
- Ethan Theune is hereby authorized to use the Rogers Beach Pavilion on Saturday, August 23 from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm for a wedding celebration.
- Authorize 2014 Renewal of Goldberg's Deli Outdoor Dining Permit for four (4) tables and twelve (12) chairs.
- Authorize 2014 Renewal of Shock Ice Cream's three (3) outdoor tables with attached benches pursuant.
- Authorize Dunn Engineering Inc. to perform a traffic study on the Aspatuck Road and Brook Road Intersection, primarily in regard to Southbound traffic.
- Appointed Managers, Assistant Managers, Lifeguards, Attendants and an August Replacement-Lifeguard for the Rogers and Lashley Village Beaches.
- Appointed Seasonal Police Officers at the rate of $20.00 per hour and Seasonal Traffic Control Officers the rate of $16.00 per hour.
- Appointed 2014 Seasonal Marina Personnel, a Dock Manager at a rate of $16.00 per hour, a Dock Attendant at a rate of $9.50 per hour.
In the Public Portion of the meeting, Beach Bakery Café proprietor Simon Jorna wanted information about the Village's plans to re-do the sidewalks and surface of Main Street. He was informed that it was in the municipality's thoughts but not on their present agenda.
No picture of Joan's new look?
Commenting has been turned off for this entry.